Wednesday 8 February 2012

A Confession

I have reached the age of 27 without ever having boiled an egg.

This is clearly terrible, and my egglessness is symptomatic of a more general failure to learn how to cook.  I've made a few attempts to rectify my woeful culinary inadequacy, but they have always ended with  something both unappetising and disheartening.

A friend of mine has commented that I have a "bizzare relationship with food" in that I don't really like thinking about it and only ever eat because if I didn't I'd die.   This assessment is entirely fair and accurate.  If I never had to eat again, I would not be upset.  I'm not enthusiastic about food, and this is how I've managed to get to this point in my life having only ever really used the toaster, the kettle and the microwave (although I do own an oven, as one can't put store-bought pizzas in the toaster). 

However, it seems as if I am going to have to keep on eating whether I want to or not, and now I'm resigned to that I may as well eat something interesting.  I will concede that if I were to broaden my repertoire I might enjoy food a bit more, so here goes.  I'm going to cook something I've never cooked before every week and write about it here.

I'm not sure if boiling an egg counts as cooking as such, but for today it will have to do.  It is one of the few things, after all, which I'm fairly confident I could do if I set my mind to it.  For now, baby steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment