Friday 17 February 2012

Stuff I Need

One thing I realised, shortly after lowering last week's egg into boiling water, was that I did not own an egg cup.  Making a boiled egg otherwise went as planned, but only because I discovered that a shot glass works as a servicable substitute for an egg cup. 

It's not uncommon that when I look at a recipe (or sometimes when I am half way through attempting to follow a recipe) I find that I don't have a requisite item.  It seems that cooking requires an awful lot of stuff.  I have so far survived with just basic cutlery and crockery, a couple of pans and a small baking tray.  I think that's about it.

I don't know what I do need, but I have a feeling it might be a lot.  I know I want a casserole dish, because I'd like to have a go at gratin dauphinois sometime, and I was reading a nice sounding simple recipe which involved a blender (here), but would I use it much?

Anyway, I have made something very simple based on that recipe but which doesn't involve blending anything.  I've roasted vegetables in the past but one their own they're not very filling, so I have roasted red peppers and onion and intend to serve them with cous cous.

The linked recipes suggests thyme, which is good, because another problem I have is that I forget about herbs and other things to make the food more exciting, and so I end up with bland and unappetizing food.   I should make a point of exploring herbs and spices.  They are definitely one thing I do need to add to my collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment